About the Congress
The 5th World Congress of Science and Medicine in Cricket (WCSMC) will be held at Luna Park (Sydney, Australia), scheduled to coincide with the semi-final period of the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup, an event which is expected to run from February to March. The WCSM is the premier international conference for cricket research, bringing together the most eminent researchers in the field, as well as world renowned coaches, players and administrators. Building on the notable successes of the previous congresses held in Shropshire, United Kingdom, 1999; Cape Town, South Africa, 2003; Bridgetown, Barbados, 2007; and Chandigarh, India, 2011; this congress will be a major international event involving participants from countries around the world, including most of the major cricket playing nations.
WCSM 2015 congress organisers intend that sport scientists, sports medicine specialists, physiologists, academics, teachers, students, administrators and coaches with an interest in cricket will take this opportunity to participate in this Congress. The aims of the Congress are to:
- To present the most recent research findings in cricket science, covering a diverse range of topics, increasing knowledge in the areas of clinical management and performance enhancement as applied to all the major disciplines of cricket.
- To provide a cricket science forum that encourages a wide attendance of various backgrounds, including but not limited to health practitioners, sports scientists, coaches, players administrators, umpires and the interested public
- To ultimately promote ways of playing cricket that are safer, better and fairer by seeking research contributions from all relevant scientific disciplines, including biomechanics, motor control, exercise physiology, strength and conditioning, physiotherapy, nutrition, sports psychology, and coaching science.
- To encourage scientific discussions on future areas of research, in particular addressing those areas in which understanding is limited, always with the view of advancing the game of cricket for the betterment of all.
- To disseminate scientific knowledge to an international audience, encouraging participation from all ICC-affiliated cricket playing nations, not just those nations that have acquired Test playing status.
To achieve these aims the University of Sydney will adopt several strategic measures:
- a rich and varied conference program
- an international audience
- expert speakers
- social program facilitating exchange among congress participants